BBT is the outcome of a joint activity undertaken by the thesaurus maintenance group within the DARIAH project aiming at building up and extending the DARIAH infrastructure.
The aim of the thesaurus maintenance working group is to develop a model of how existing thesauri and ontologies can be made interoperable and be maintained in a sustainable way.
Within this framework the WG achieved to build methods for the development in a collaborative way of semantically interoperable thesauri using ontology-driven faceted analysis and detected and defined high-level concepts for indexing knowledge in the Humanities which could guarantee the intersubjective and interdisciplinary character the indexing process so thus the integration of concepts of goal-oriented generic research functions with notions of scholarly primitives and digital research activities could become feasible. Finally the working group has proposed a model of (electronic) collaboration that supports discussions regarding changes proposed for the BBT either by the WG or by other interested parties.
These objectives were achieved through the contribution of a large number of participants:
- Academy of Athens (AA)
- Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften (BBAW)
- Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS)
- Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (DAINST)
- Digital Curation Unit of the Institute for the Management of Information Systems in Athens (DCU)
- Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH)
- Herzog August Bibliothek (HAB)
- Leibniz Institut für Europäische Geschichte Mainz (IEGMAINZ)
- Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften (OEAW)
- Società internationale per lo studio del Medioevo Latino SISMEL
- Staats und Universitäts- Bibliothek Göttingen (SUB.UNIGOETTINGEN)
- Université catholique de Louvain (UCLOUVAIN)